Warm congratulations to Philippa Fairbairn. Philippa was honoured for decades of commitment to our sport and officiating with the Queen’s Jubilee medal.
Philippa (born in 1938) is easily one of our most experienced and decorated Officials in the sport of Athletics in Canada. Philippa currently officiates at the highest level of track meets across Canada. Not only is she one of Canada’s highest-ranking officials, but she has also trained countless number of new aspiring officials over the years all of whom continue to contribute to their officiating skills to numerous track meets both in Alberta and across the country.
Philippa’s Career highlights:
- Served as the Official’s coordinator for the World Athletics Championships that took place in Edmonton in 2001.
- Alberta Officials Chair 1996-2004.
- Alberta Officials Nominating Committee 2004-2008.
- National Officials Committee 2008-2009.
- Currently Level 5 (International) Horizontal Jumps official.
- Currently Level 3 (Provincial) Track and Field Umpire.
- National Mentor/Evaluator for Athletics Canada training and developing new officials in Alberta and across the country.
- Currently serves as the northern zone coordinator for the Athletics Alberta officials’ sub-committee which involves scheduling officials for the annual meets throughout the calendar year.
- Currently volunteers over 300 hours in a calendar year with her various roles as an official and mentor.
Philippa is a strong proponent of upgrading skill levels for our Officials and goes to great lengths to encourage both new and experienced Officials to improve their capabilities and do whatever is necessary to progress through to the higher grading classifications. The simple fact that Philippa currently remains extensively involved in athletics officiating and the management thereof, more than exemplifies her spirit of community service and her commitment to the sport. Of the current 150+ Officials that support the Athletics community in the province, Philippa has trained or mentored most of them (over 100). In addition, she continues to contribute to the successful delivery of our sport that includes thousands of children and adults annually.
We heartily congratulate Philippa and encourage you to thank her for her dedication to our sport!