Athletics Alberta is the provincial governing body for track and field, cross country and road running. As a branch member of Athletics Canada, Athletics Alberta is made up of individual members, member clubs and affiliated organizations. The purpose of the Association is to promote, encourage and develop the widest participation and the highest proficiency in the sport of Athletics.
Athletics is a dynamic sport and not just for those who are completely dedicated, but for all those involved in all activities. Through our various programs and activities, Athletics Alberta tries to bring the joy and benefits of a healthy, active lifestyle to Albertans; simply put, we live active. From U10’s to our oldest athlete who is 92 years young, we train juniors all the way to Olympians – and we have many Olympians in our Association.
The skills learned in Athletics are foundational and developmental and used in all sports from hockey and football to gymnastics and swimming. Strength, force, acceleration, dynamism – Athletics teaches you how to move in your body in ways that help you in any sport.
What is Athletics?
Athletics is, in many ways, the embodiment of the Olympic motto, “Citius, Altius, Fortius”, meaning faster, higher and stronger. Athletics was the original sport at the first Olympics back in 776 BC where the only event held was the stadium-length foot race or “stade”. Today, the scope of athletics has broadened to not only encompass the sport of track and field but also make reference to cross-country, road running and mountain running.
Currently, there are two seasons of play recognized in athletics. There is an indoor season, which runs during the winter/ spring and an outdoor season, which runs during the spring/ summer and fall months. The sports of track and field, road running and cross country are carried out in the outdoor season, with competitions falling on a variety of dates in the calendar months. Only track and field has the distinction of having an indoor season of play, allowing for competitions in the winter months.
Thank you for visiting the Athletics Alberta website.
You will note that this organization is responsible for competitive Track & Field, Cross-country and Road Running in the province of Alberta.
Our member-athletes range in age from under 9 yrs to over 70yrs, with an accomplishment spectrum ranging from beginner to world-class.
We are happy and eager to serve each one of them in all the various ways that a sport association can:
- assisting and promoting club development
- enhancing coaching expertise via special courses and certification
- providing a full and exciting competition calendar
- ensuring that our officials are prepared to foster fairness and standardized procedure at all competitions
- bringing our athletes onto teams that represent Alberta at a variety of regional competitions
- recognizing excellence in athlete performance with awards and financial assistance
- keeping our members well informed on all matters pertaining to the sport (local, regional, national & international) with the news updates on our website
- sharing our expertise with schools and community groups through special programs like Run-Jump-Throw events and Hershey’s competitions
- offering good governance with a board of directors, member-driven committees, and office staff who are passionate care-takers of the sportAthletics Alberta is the association of Alberta citizens who love to participate in events and activities that represent the most foundational elements of all sport – running, jumping and throwing. These are the basics of human “athleticism”.
We are ATHLETICS!
Join us if you want to become a better athlete.
Our clubs, coaches and officials are ready to serve you!
Yours in Sport,
Dr. Linda F. Blade